Request for testing: xterm 191

Stuart Children stuart at terminus.co.uk
Mon Jun 28 14:46:24 UTC 2004

Apologies for the second mail. Spotting another thing but then forgot
about it until it annoyed me again just now. :)

Mike A. Harris wrote:
> I've recently upgraded xterm to version 191 in rawhide.
> Currently, the included xterm resources shipped are the stock
> upstream xterm resources with no additional Red Hat
> modifications.  I've left our our customizations in order to
> determine which ones are still needed, and which ones we can
> eliminate.

The saveLines X resouce (which determines the number of lines that have
scrolled off-screen to be saved) now has a default of 64 (according to
the manpage - a quick visual comparison says that's correct). This is
far too short for me, and I would wager many developers.

I've no idea what it's set to in FC2, but that is certainly enough for
my use. The last time I knowingly set a scrollback size was using PuTTY
on a Windows system and ISTR I used about 1000-2000 lines. Will try a
few values out over this week and see what I think's a good default.

The one big reason I can think of for keeping the scroll buffer size
down is memory usage. Are there any others?

This isn't a bug per se, so I've not filed one. However, I'd be quite
happy if this was changed to its FC2 value. On the other hand I'm OK
setting my own value (there are enough other settings I change). What're
other peoples' opinions on what the default value should be?

Cheers

--
Stuart