Migrate stored Mozilla passwords.

Mark Fonnemann markf78 at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 30 03:18:45 UTC 2004

Everyone-

>I did just that on my new computer: after installing FC2 and creating
>the user acount, I copied all of .mozilla from my old computer (which
>had FC1) before starting mozilla, and all my settings were there.
>One thing that will be important is that username and home directory are
>unchanged, since these appear in various places in mozilla's
>configuration files.
>
>I have no idea why it worked for me and not for you, unfortunately.

could it have something to do with the fact that inside ~/.mozilla/profilename
there exists a randomly generated folder name (ending always in .slt) which
contains the important files?

e.g. i use the "default" profile. so, my bookmarks (bookmarks.html) and
preferences (prefs.js) are stored in "/root/.mozilla/default/gccurl7j.slt". on
a previous installation (before my hard disk failed) they were stored in a
different randomly generated folder (i think it was
"/root/.mozilla/default/sl8kut1k.slt") even though the mozilla version remained
the same for both installs. not a big deal, i admit,  but it does require a bit
of care when backing up these two files. unfortunately, i do not know where the
passwd's are stored so i'm only guessing that this could be the problem.

mark. :-)

p.s. i have no idea why mozilla was implemented this way but it's easy to work around.