Apt-get downloading packages

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at welho.com
Mon Mar 1 06:42:38 UTC 2004

On Sat, 28 Feb 2004, jim tate wrote:

> Fedora core Test1.
> Apt-get upgrade , downdloaded a number of RPM packages from
> freshrpms.us.net/development and put them in the /var/cache/apt/archive
> and they are later versions than installed . Why can't I rpm -Uvh *.rpm
> those packages?  Apt-get comes back with something about "Unsigned
> /var/cache/apt/archive (for all the packages) what gives, Am I of the
> understanding that you just can't upgrade Fedora Test1 core?

Well the packages from development are not GPG-signed like it says and the
fedora.us apt is configured by default to disallow installing unsigned
packages and packages with unknown signature. Run with "-o
rpm::gpg-check=false" to temporarily disable, or change the configuration
permanently in apt.conf since the packages from development aren't going
to be signed in future either, probably.

And yes you can install the stuff with just rpm -Uvh as well.

	- Panu -