Heres a dumb one - where does intitrd `img' come from

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Mon Mar 1 13:41:23 UTC 2004

Alexandre Oliva <aoliva at redhat.com> writes:

>> Where does the /boot/initrd*.img come from.
>
> mkinitrd creates it.
>
>> There is 1012MB of data there though... yikes.  Is that normal?
>
> 1GiB?  Certainly not.  1012KiB (~ 1 MiB) would be something more
> reasonable, depending on the number of modules and start-up programs
> that are necessary to mount the root filesystem and pivot to it.

OK, thanks for the tips on initrd*
The 1012MB I mentioned is from building 1 single package.  The *116
kernel.

I ran:
    make O=/usr/local/build/kernel oldconfig
    make O=/usr/local/build/kernel xconfig
    make O=/usr/local/build/kernel bzImage
    make O=/usr/local/build/kernel modules

and now there is 1012MB (one GB (+/-)) in that build directory.

cd $BUILD
[root] # du -sh `ls`
   816K    System.map
   30M     arch