Why is Web Browsers so slow at Resolving Hosts

Tom Needs a Hat Mitchell mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Mar 2 23:48:29 UTC 2004

On Tue, Mar 02, 2004 at 05:02:51PM -0500, jim tate wrote:

> Fedora2-test1
> Mozilla,Firefox,Konqueror all three are very slow at Resolving Hosts and
> connecting
> to Websites.
> Resolv.conf is setup with "nameserver 192.168.1.1" gateway, Linksys-WRT55AG,
> eathernet, does not make any difference as to what  make of eathernet
> card your using,
> not using wireless.
> Another PC and Laptop using Fedora1 core has no problems of resolving
> ,fast, on > same network.

> Any Ideals?

s/Ideals/Ideas/

On the two linux boxes compare the results of "chkconfig --list | sort "
Also on both machines compare:
       /etc/resolv.conf          resolver configuration file
       /etc/host.conf            resolver configuration file
       /etc/hosts

My guess is that the quick machines are getting name/host resolution from
the comcast name servers and not the Linksys.  Check also the name server
configured inside the Linksys, if it is wrong it will be slow.

My strategy would be to setup a caching name server and list the comcast
name servers and bypass the Linksys.

You can snoop on the wire and watch host host names are resolved (tethereal)
and compare the quick and the slow boxes.

Is there a proxy in the mix (squid)?

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l
	mitch48-at-sbcglobal-dot-net