Evolution broken deps

Andrew Farris fedora at andrewfarris.com
Wed Mar 3 00:26:44 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-03-02 at 20:09 -0300, Pedro Fernandes Macedo wrote:

> I'm trying to install evolution  1.4.5-7 on a FC2t1 machine and I'm getting these messages:

> Package evolution needs libgal-2.0.so.5, this is not available.
> Package evolution needs libgal-a11y-2.0.so.5, this is not available.
> Package evolution needs libgtkhtml-3.0.so.2, this is not available.
> Package evolution needs libgtkhtml-a11y-3.0.so.2, this is not available.
> Package evolution needs libsoup-2.0.so.0, this is not available.
> [root at tirael headers]#

Assuming you're downgrading Evolution from the 1.5.x test release to
1.4.5-7:

Downgrade these packages manually.  You can get the latest available
versions in the development tree, which I'm guessing are older than you
have installed.  I'm still running 1.5.x and it requires newer than the
devel tree has right now.

gtkhtml3, libsoup, and gal are the packages responsible.

Download the rpms, then install using rpm -U --oldpackage package.rpm
If this fails you may need to use the --force switch, but it should be
avoided if you can! (perhaps even using a --nodeps remove of the too-new
version and then install of the older packages)

> Is this really broken or am I doing something stupid?
> --------------------
> Pedro Fernandes Macedo

Yes, its broken because Evolution 1.5.x used newer gtkhtml3 and libsoup
packages.  Downgrade doesn't work by yum because you have newer packages
(and it only likes to go onward and upward).

If you're not downgrading then something else is amiss.

--
Andrew J Farris
afarris at calpoly.edu  ::  andrew at andrewfarris.com
California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo CA

http://www.andrewfarris.com/