CD/DVD burning - still giving problems - k3b

Jim Cornette redhat-jc at insight.rr.com
Thu Mar 4 00:54:03 UTC 2004

Paul wrote:
> Hi,
>
> If I use k3b and using the 2.6.3-1.116 kernel and with the lines /dev/
> hdc=ide-cd /dev/hdd=ide-cd /dev/hdf=ide-cd selinux=0, whenever I attempt
> to burn either a DVD or CD, I always get the following error
>
> mkisofs returned an unknown error (code 11)
> Resource temporarily unavailable
> Please send me an email with the last output
>
> The debugging code give
>
> System
> -----------------------
> K3b Version: 0.11
> KDE Version: 3.2.0-0.4 Red Hat
> QT Version:  3.3.0
>
> cdrecord
> -----------------------
> scsidev: '/dev/hdf'
> devname: '/dev/hdf'
> scsibus: -2 target: -2 lun: -2
> Warning: Open by 'devname' is unintentional and not supported.
> Linux sg driver version: 3.5.27

I have a cdrom that gave me the -2 for the three parameters that you
have above. My cd reader/writer is an Acer brand recorder.

The whole CDROM burner issue is really inconsistent and seems to act
differenlty with different hardware.

Anyway, I was able to burn CDs successfully with leaving out the
hdd=ide-scsi parameter with the 2.4 kernel and now I can burn CDs
correctly with the 2.4 kernel and with the ide-scsi option in the kernel.

Now, with the 2.6 kernel, I have one installation that is an upgrade
from FC1 to development and I burned the last CDROM with it with almost
what is in your grub option. I did not use the /dev/hx device but simply
the "hdx=ide-cd" for my cd burner and for my dvd burner. I was able to
blank a rewritable disk and then burn the disc successfully.

On my other system that is a development only installaton that was
originally setup in early January (ftp install). I was not able to burn
the iso files to disk and decided to rebot into the Fedora Core 1
version to burn CDROMS for test 1.

------
Now after looking at your problem with burning CDRs or DVDs. I think
that you might need to toy around with removing the ide-cd parameters
from the grub file and trying to burn without the entries. (even if they
might not show in /etc/fstab w/ the parameters missing)

Another thing that is helpful is to get information about what kudzu
changed your /dev/cdrom and /dev/cdrom1 symlinks to. You can find out
this information with "ls -la /dev/cd*" or a similar command.

I have only tried out k3b once and know very little about the
application. I added k3b reference in the subject line to que others to
this application and possible help.

I was wondering if your problem is with the mp3 decoder or a similar
problem. I never attempted burning audio discs with the 2.6 kernel to
date. Are you able to burn iso images to disc? If you are able to burn
iso files or create file discs, the focus should be on the mp3 decoder.

good luck and maybe trying one of the other gui front end cd burning
programs might help to isolate the problem. sometimes xcdroast works
better than gtoaster and other times it is the other way around.

Jim