Wishfull Thinking (SPARC)

Tom 'spot' Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Thu Mar 4 16:47:05 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-03-04 at 11:43 -0500, Jakub Jelinek wrote:

> > Building NPTL for sparcv9 requires glibc-kernheaders to be 2.6, not 2.4.
> > This also requires patching of things like util-linux and rhpl.
>
> Not true.  It can use the same glibc-kernheaders as all other Fedora/RHEL3
> arches.  The thing is just that asm-sparc*/unistd.h needs to be updated
> with the newly added syscalls, nothing else.

Ah. OK. Still, I don't see any reason to keep using the 2.4 headers if
2.6 is the direction going forward, especially since the only things
affected so far have been glibc (duh), util-linux, and rhpl. In fact,
Arjan said at one point that he intended to move the headers to 2.6. :)

~spot
---
Tom "spot" Callaway <tcallawa(a)redhat*com> LCA, RHCE
Red Hat Sales Engineer || Aurora SPARC Linux Project Leader

"The author's mathematical treatment of the conception of purpose is
novel and highly ingenious, but heretical and, so far as the present
social order is concerned, dangerous and potentially subversive. Not
to be published." -- Aldous Huxley's "Brave New World"