kernel rebuild does'nt build actual kernel

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Thu Mar 4 17:26:00 UTC 2004

"Tom 'spot' Callaway" <tcallawa at redhat.com> writes:

> On Thu, 2004-03-04 at 10:40 -0600, Harry Putnam wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the explanations... but I still don't see how to control
>> the build from the spec file.  For example:

Thanks again.. all info you've supplied is usefull, however maybe I
wasnt clear ... the key words above were `FROM THE SPEC FILE'.

>>   Don't build the debug rpms
>
> Debug rpms are done systemwide for all packages that aren't noarch. This
> isn't kernel specific. However, if you really want to disable the
> debuginfo, adding this line to the spec will do it:
>
> %define __debug_package 0

Ok, this kind of thing used to be right at the top of a spec file
before 2.6..   Where can I get a list of such items ... they don't
appear in spec files anymore?

2.4 *.spec:

  # What parts do we want to build?  We must build at least one kernel.
  # These are the kernels that are built IF the architecture allows and
  # no contrary --with/--without arguments are given on the command line.
  %define buildup 1
  %define buildsmp 1
  %define buildBOOT 1
  %define buildenterprise 1
  %define builddebug 1
  %define buildjensen 0
  %define buildtape 1
  %define buildBOOTtape 1
  [...]

2.6 *.spec

  # What parts do we want to build?  We must build at least one kernel.
  # These are the kernels that are built IF the architecture allows it.

  %define buildup 1
  %define buildsmp 1
  %define buildsource 1
  %define usegcc32 0