CD writing really doing my head in.

Wes Shull wes at kuoi.asui.uidaho.edu
Fri Mar 5 01:49:22 UTC 2004

Paul <paul at all-the-johnsons.co.uk> wrote:
> grub.conf says /dev/hdc=3Dide-cd /dev/hdd=3Dide-cd
> /dev/hdf=3Dide-cd

Those are probably redundant...  unless you've got some weird devices,
ide-cd will be the driver loaded for them automatically.

> /dev/cdrom points to /dev/hdc, cdrom1 to hdd, cdrom2 to hdf
> /dev/cdwriter to hdd and cdwriter1 to hdf
> /dev/scd0 to hdc, scd1 to hdd and scd2 to hdf

No ide-scsi -> we're not pretending they're on a scsi bus anymore ->
you can get rid of the scd? links (but on the other hand their
presence shouldn't be hurting anything)

> k3b and xcdroast pick the drives up without a problem
>
> Non will let me burn, they always give a mkisofs error (unknown
> error 11). hdf is a DVD burner and growisofs won't allow me to
> burn.

Does mkisofs work by itself?  For example
mkisofs -r -J -V "Foo" /some/path >foo.iso

If that doesn't give you errors, can you then fake a burn like this?
(take out the -dummy if you actually want to burn)
cdrecord dev=/dev/cdrom -dummy -dao -v foo.iso

This won't work for burning a DVD, but will at least show if your
drivers and basic tools are working correctly...

--
"TEST RELEASES EAT BABIES."  --Jef Spaleta on the fedora-test-list