disable IPV6?

Randy L Schrickel randy at raba.com
Fri Mar 5 12:17:22 UTC 2004

I'm having network/DNS issues just like what Jim Tate described in an
earlier thread called "Why is Web Browsers so slow at Resolving
Hosts". I sent a detailed message of my efforts in tackling this
problem to the list yesterday, but mistakenly sent it from the wrong
address. Maybe the moderators will still let it through?

Anyway, I'm wondering if the fact that IPV6 is enabled on my machine
could be part of the slowness problem? When I run ethereal, I get
several IPV6 repliess (AAAA) before finally getting an IPV4 reply (A)
and a successful name resolution. ifconfig shows that my card does
have a V6 address. Deleting that address doesn't change the dnslookup
behavior. I don't see those kinds of replies when I dual-boot the
machine into Windows XP or Knoppix.

I've set NETWORKING_IPV6=no and IPV6_AUTOCONF=no explicitly in my
/etc/sysconfig/network script, but it still comes up configured.

So two questions really - is there a possibility that this could be
part of my DNS slowness problem, and if so, how do I disable it?

Thanks,
randy