need help

Wes Shull wes at kuoi.asui.uidaho.edu
Wed Mar 10 05:10:12 UTC 2004

"Gene C." <czar at czarc.net> wrote:

> come up with the answer ... pci=off nodma
[...]
> I do not understand why Red Hat and Fedora systems need this and the
other
> distributions do not -- Mandrake 9.2, Gentoo 1.4, SuSE 9.0, SuSE
LivEval
> (bootable cdrom), knoppix (Debian based bootable cdrom).
>
> There is scant information in the kernel Documentation so I am not
exactly
> sure just what these boot parameters do.

Resources for kernel bootparams:
* man 7 bootparam (ancient, says 2.1.21 at the bottom!)
* kernel-parameters.txt in the kernel-doc package (I think that's what
you're talking about above?)
* http://www.ibiblio.org/mdw/HOWTO/BootPrompt-HOWTO.html

None of those explain the bare "nodma" but I seem to remember this
coming up a lot around the time that FC2T1 was released (I'd search
the archives IF THE FREAKING SEARCH WORKED)...  IIRC it disables use
of DMA for (at least) ATAPI CD-ROM drives, some of which freak out or
return corrupt data when using DMA.  Apparently nodma was the default
in FC1 and earlier installers, and other distros...  forgot if it was
accidental or intentional that FC2T1 wasn't the same.

I'm sure that if anything I said above was incorrect someone will jump
in and set things straight ;-)

--
Redhat-types, why isn't the archive search working?  If you guys don't
have time to fix it, I'm sure someone here can do it for you...