Is there an obsolete packages list

Dan Furlani dan.furlani at earthling.net
Thu Mar 11 15:43:20 UTC 2004

Hello,

I can't decide if this is a fedora question or a yum question...
Is there a way of verifying that a package is obsoleted by some other package in fc2?

I'd like to use yum to upgrade from fc1 to fc2-test1 (or 1.90 or development or rawhide, whatever it's called).  I commented out the [base] and [freshrpms] sections of yum.conf, and added new sections [base-fc2t1] and [freshrpms-fc2t1] that point at .../core/development/... instead of .../core/1/...

I ran 'yum list extras' and got a list that is longer than what I normally get with that command, including:
Glide3, bonobo-conf, comps, filesystem, gnome-vfs2-extras, libmrproject, losetup, mount, openssl, perl-libxml-enno, redhat-config-*, redhat-logviewer, redhat-switch-*, sndconfig, switchdesk*, xawtv, xmlto.  All of these existed in the old [base] repository and are not available in [base-fc2t1].

I read somewhere that redhat-config-* are obsoleted by some system-* packages, so I'm not worried about those.  How do I know if the others have been obsoleted or are just missing/forgotten?

Also, should I not comment out the old repositories?  I'd guess that yum would be smart enough to ignore the old repos for the most part since the packages are older.  But otoh, maybe that will cause problems since redhat-config-* exist in the old repos...

Thanks
-Dan