up2date problems

Wayne Steenburg w.steenburg at myactv.net
Fri Mar 12 08:54:39 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-03-12 at 07:14 -0700, BC wrote:
> Ok I updated the yum app and tried again. Please help I can't do a full update.

It worked fine for me,

[root at FC2 wayne]# yum --exclude=gstreamer update
Server: Fedora Core 1.90 - i386 - Base
Server: Fedora.us Extras (Stable)
Server: Fedora.us Extras (Testing)
Server: Livna.org - Fedora Compatible Packages (stable)
Server: Livna.org - Fedora Compatible Packages (testing)
Server: Fedora Core 1.90 - i386 - Released Updates

Finding updated packages
Downloading needed headers
Resolving dependencies
.Dependencies resolved
I will do the following:
[update: pango 1.3.6-1.i386]
[update: postgresql-libs 7.4.2-1.i386]
<snip>
I will install/upgrade these to satisfy the dependencies:
[deps: alsa-utils 1.0.2-2.i386]
Is this ok [y/N]: n

What version of yum are you using?

[root at FC2 wayne]# rpm -q yum
yum-2.0.5.20040303-1

Also the "Unable to find pid" line in your post looks rather suspicious.
I know in FC1 if yum exited abnormaly you could not re-run it. The error
was something about a pid lock. Rebooting solved that problem for me,
although I'm sure there was probably a better method.  There might be a
connection.  Sorry I can't give you any specific instructions, but I
hope this helps.

Wayne Steenburg