up2date missing packages

Marcus Schuetz biped at comcast.net
Sun Mar 14 19:27:56 UTC 2004

Thomas Molina released the following into the bitstream on 03/14/04 14:01:
> I've read some of the previous messages about missing dependencies, and
> I've run into the same problem.  I tried one person's suggestion of yum
> --exclude=gstreamer update
>
> and found another group of packages which couldn't be updated.  I was
> under the impression the situation was going to be fixed at the
> repository.  I'm not going to chanse an increasing circle of dependencies.
> I was used to using mirror, a perl-based package, which merely downloaded
> new packages.  I could then do a simple rpm -Fvh.  However, I decided to
> try the up2date.
>
> So has someone come up with a list of packages to be excluded which will
> allow up2date to work?

I understand your pain, but that's the price you pay for living at the
bleeding edge :-) At the moment (at least for me) nautilus-media
requirements are holding up the updates of sound-juicer, gstreamer and
gnome-applets and IIRC rhythmbox. Usually these dependancy issues get
resolved within a few days. But keep in mind that using the development
tree, this is something that will happen again and again. Your
alternative is to stick to the base and only do updates through the
update channel. But where is the fun in that? :-)

:: Marcus