nasty hack around broken yum archive dependancy blockages

Thomas J. Baker tjb at unh.edu
Mon Mar 15 14:42:14 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-03-15 at 01:29, Michael Wiktowy wrote:
> > So just to be sure I understand. You take the list of updateable pkgs,
> > and you iterate over each one until you can't update anything completely
> > anymore. Is that right?
> >
> >-sv
>
> Correct.
>
> I couldn't figure out a way to make yum do that itself and at first
> glance the -t option looks like it was built for that purpose.
>
> Also, I couldn't figure out how to make yum stop
> "Gathering header information file(s) from server(s)"
> every single time it is run (to iterate through that list faster).
> I thought the -C option would but I doesn't.
>
> The script shouldn't install anything that you don't already have installed
> unless it is a new dependency from something you are updating.
>
> (Sorry for the broken topic threading ... replying from message digest)
>
> /Mike

The way my rawhide mirror works (mirror of a mirror), it would be nice
if yum had a --update-what-you-can option. After a normal pass, it would
just --exclude anything it reports as not upgradeable due to dependency
issues and tries again until it succeeds. I don't know python but I may
try to do a wrapper in perl...

tjb
| Thomas Baker                                  email: tjb at unh.edu    |