nasty hack around broken yum archive dependancy blockages

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at welho.com
Mon Mar 15 17:22:02 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-03-15 at 16:46, seth vidal wrote:
> > The way my rawhide mirror works (mirror of a mirror), it would be nice
> > if yum had a --update-what-you-can option. After a normal pass, it would
> > just --exclude anything it reports as not upgradeable due to dependency
> > issues and tries again until it succeeds. I don't know python but I may
> > try to do a wrapper in perl...
>
> Ok,
>  1. wrapping python programs in perl is simply DIRTY. Let's not do
> that.
>  2. it's funny that the only reason people want this feature in yum is
> b/c rawhide is so frequently dependency-incomplete. Kinda an odd
> direction to follow for writing features.

But then.. if you can't use the depsolvers to keep up with rawhide, back
to rpm -Fvh <shrudder>

Apt has --fix-missing which attempts to fix the upgrade-set after
downloading what's available and dropping any unsatisfied dependencies
from the upgrade set. Not that I really know but I suspect that the
existence of that option has everything to do with Debian unstable
repository, not unlike rawhide in nature...

	- Panu -