mutt and squid, removed because of dep problems, errors

Jim Cornette redhat-jc at insight.rr.com
Wed Mar 17 12:42:06 UTC 2004

Thomas Molina wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Mar 2004, Bill Nottingham wrote:
>
>>Jim Cornette (redhat-jc at insight.rr.com) said:
>>
>>>I just upgraded all of the rpms and had to remove mutt and squid in
>>>order to have no conflicts with the install.
>>>
>>>Trying to re-install mutt gives me this error message.
>>>
>>>Unresolvable chain of dependencies:
>>>mutt  1.4.1-6                            requires libsasl.so.7
>>>
>>>trying to reinstall squid outputs this error.
>>>
>>>Unresolvable chain of dependencies:
>>>squid  2.5.STABLE5-1                     requires libsasl.so.7
>>
>>Will be fixed with a new cyrus-sasl tomorrow.
>

> So how do you want to handle this situation where the update repository
> gets out of whack?  Report it? How often?
>
> The advice on the previous situation was to remove nautilus-media, but
> removing packages is not a solution.  It looks like the nautilus-media
> thing was a library got upgraded, but nautilus-media still had a
> dependency on the old one.

Removing packages that have dep problems, is by no means a solution for
resolving conflicts, with other programs. I don't think doing a nodep is
a good practice either.

For nautilus-media removal, it was more of a test to satisfy other media
applications and on Sandy's detective work on pinning down
nautilus-media as the offending application.

If this wasn't a test process and things weren't changing so quickly. It
would be better to submit a bug for the problems encountered. However,
without the postings related to the conflicts, it is hard for people to
know what is really going on. One problem, many solutions.

Regarding the mutt and squid conflict. I use mutt and don't think that I
use squid. Removing this program was with much hesitation.

I'll try installing it again tonight, with the new cirus-sasl version.

Jim