Someone Explain: Whats going on X.org/XFree

Mike A. Harris mharris at redhat.com
Fri Mar 19 03:31:44 UTC 2004

On Thu, 18 Mar 2004, Leonard den Ottolander wrote:

>> Now I'm
>> worried how this will affect us if FC2 comes with a X.org server instead
>> of XFree86.
>
>If I am not mistaken FC 2 will ship with both Xorg and XFree86-4.3.0
>(for which the new licence does not apply).

XFree86 4.3.0 has been removed and replaced with X.org X11.
There's no useful reason to ship 2 X11 implementations in one
product.  When you upgrade to xorg-x11, it automatically
obsoletes and uninstalls the previous XFree86 packages (any
version).

Take care,
TTYL

--
Mike A. Harris       ftp://people.redhat.com/mharris
OS Systems Engineer - X.org X11 maintainer - Red Hat