Strange package dependency problem

Andrew Farris fedora at andrewfarris.com
Fri Mar 19 13:42:55 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-03-19 at 08:06 -0500, Neal Becker wrote:

> [...]
> OK, I wasn't excluding xorg.  Try again:
>
> sudo yum --exclude=xorg* update
> Gathering header information file(s) from server(s)
> Server: Fedora Core 1.90 - i386 - Base
> Server: Fedora Compatible Packages (stable)
> Server: fedora stable
> Server: Fedora Core 1.90 - i386 - Released Updates
> Finding updated packages
> Downloading needed headers
> Resolving dependencies
> ....Unable to satisfy dependencies
> Package anaconda needs libXxf86misc.so.1, this is not available.
> Package gdm needs libXinerama.so.1, this is not available.
>
> Hmm, that looks familiar.  Any ideas?

What I required.

yum --exclude=xorg* --exclude=anaconda --exclude=gdm --exclude=kdebase
--exclude=chkfontpath update

rpm -e openoffice.org
yum install xorg*
yum update

(tomorrow, mid afternoon perhaps) yum install openoffice.org
The current available build is not yet compatible.
Add up the excludes as they become necessary, remove it if need be and
put it back afterward.  Overall this was fairly smooth for me, but there
are a few hitches.
--
"The only thing neccessary for the triumph of evil is for good men
to do nothing." (Edmond Burke)

Andrew Farris, CPE major
California Polytechnic University, SLO
fedora at andrewfarris.com