Strange package dependency problem

Swamper swamper at adelphia.net
Sat Mar 20 03:36:39 UTC 2004

William Hooper wrote:
> Swamper said:
> > William Hooper wrote:
> >> running
> >>
> >> For the development tree, no.
> >
> > What are we gaining by breaking the package management system?
>
> Unless you are forcing packages I don't see how the package management
> system is being broken.  To the contrary, the package management system is
> working as designed because it won't let you install packages that would
> break dependencies on installed packages.
>
> Maybe we should go back to the old way of making everyone manually
> download and update packages so that people won't complain about yum and
> up2date not working...

Are you complaining about people complaining?  Maybe they are
complaining because yum and up2date are not working?  Why don't
either of those programs just skip the packages that are having
problems and continue on?  Yum is on auto-pilot now but it is
just wasting time with updated packages that don't have
dependency problems held back because of the ones that do.  So
we go in there and show it what to do manually.  With this
system we don't need to go back to the old way of doing
everything manually because we are still there.

The package management system is not working when it holds up
multiple packages in the queue that don't have dependency
problems for one or two that do.  If that is the way the package
management system is designed then maybe it should go back to
the drawing board.