Strange package dependency problem

William Hooper whooperhsd3 at earthlink.net
Sun Mar 21 02:36:06 UTC 2004

Swamper said:
> To answer your question; yes, yum should update foo and merrily
> output a note to the "user" that they don't know wtf they are
> doing and read the manual or something.  It shouldn't abort
> just because some human typed something illogical at the command
> prompt because that's what humans do best.  It is up to the
> program to do the logical thing because that's what they do
> best.  Really, the logical thing for the update program to do
> would be to update anything it can, as long as the update
> doesn't break something.

An so what status does this program return?  Pass or fail?

I don't want programs (especially something like package updating) doing
mysterious things.  If it can't do what I asked, I expect it to fail and
leave my system alone.  If I try to execute a file that doesn't have the
execute bit set, I get an error.  If I try to right to a directory I don't
have permission to I get an error.  If I try to install multiple RPMs and
one fails none are installed.  Yum should be no different.  I don't expect
any update software to fix a broken package tree.

--
William Hooper