Fedora ftp site?

Jack Bowling jbinpg at shaw.ca
Sun Mar 21 08:45:44 UTC 2004

On Sat, Mar 20, 2004 at 05:05:17PM -0800, Tom Mitchell wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 20, 2004 at 05:14:41PM +0000, Paul wrote:
> > Any ideas why downloading from the Fedora FTP site should be so dog
> > slow? It usually whizzes!
>
> Has anyone filed an RFE to include bittorrent in the FC2 package.
> I gave a quick look but did not find one.
>
> It seems to me that bittorrent is a necessary subcomponent
> and prerequisite for enhancements like: Bugzilla Bug #:   116567
>
> It would provide a foundation to extend  /etc/init.d/yum and
> /etc/cron.daily/yum.cron to be a prefetcher for yum and up2date.
> Synchronization provided by cron would make the torrent more
> effective.  Local time zones could  tend to localize the torrent
> on the net. [snip]

All fine and good, Tom. But how do you harness the P2P aspect of
bittorrent? I do not want anyone else but me opening up ports on my box.
So having it done automatically as part of a cron job is out of the question
for me.

Widespread acceptance of bittorrent as a tool will have to resolve this
issue. I think it can be done using iptables and a bittorrent match filter
but more testing would have to be done before I trusted it.

--
Jack Bowling
mailto: jbinpg at shaw.ca