Strange package dependency problem

Iain Rae iainr at zathras.org
Sun Mar 21 10:28:11 UTC 2004

William Hooper wrote:

>Swamper said:
>

>>Then what is the point of this running daily?
>>
>>###
>>cat /etc/cron.daily/yum.cron
>>

>I wouldn't let a cron job update my system from a stable tree, let alone
>from development.  How do you know what update broke your system?

If you're dealing with large numbers of systems then automagic updates
(from a stable) are a necessity, however you have to back them up with
reporting/monitoring systems. I wouldn't expect yum to do all that, it's
too site specific. Having yum mail root a summary might be useful but
it's fairly trivial to add that into the above cron job.

>>Yum will be broke unless I edit that file and tell it to exclude
>>gdm.
>>

>Yum is working as designed.  And, if you had spent the time working on
>your system instead of bitching you would have gdm installed by now.
>

>>Why should I need to run yum manually now and tell it to
>>skip that file?  Why can't it read my mind?
>>

>Do you really want me to reply to this?

but it is reading his mind, it's then just going "this is broken, why
should I work out what's wrong with this, he's the sysadmin, he gets
paid to do things like that, he can sort it out".