Fedora ftp site?

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Sun Mar 21 15:08:18 UTC 2004

> I can't understand why Fedora don't add a feature to change the mirrors
> automatically by chance or manual - the standards are to get the packages
> from the main Server, that cannot be the best way.
> Btw., SuSE have a tool taht searches for the best mirror from a list - It can
> not be so hard to do that, and if there a problems, you can take the main
> server as the last mirror and can delete or add other mirrors with package
> updates.
>
> What do you think? Why is there no such feature?

B/c the mirrors of rawhide are, typically, fairly significantly out of
sync.

if you're talking about a stable release then you can do:

[somerepo]
name=This is some repo
baseurl=http://mirror1.org/some/path/
        http://mirror2.org/some/path/
        http://mirror3.org/some/path/

then yum will automatically switch mirrors when it encounters and error
getting files from one.

-sv