Fedora ftp site?

Roland Wolters wolters.liste at gmx.net
Sun Mar 21 18:26:43 UTC 2004

Once upon a time William Hooper wrote:
> Roland Wolters said:
> >>
> >> because a lot of people means (s)he  has to download from there.  But
> >> thre are enough mirrors.
> >> see: http://fedora.redhat.com/download/mirrors.html
> >
> > I can't understand why Fedora don't add a feature to change the mirrors
> > automatically by chance or manual - the standards are to get the packages
> > from the main Server, that cannot be the best way.
>
> Have you ran the up2date from FC2test1?

Yes, sure. I started up2date, and it looked up servers, which were all
somewhere in the USA and very slow - I switched it manually to some
high-up-to-date servers in Germany, and everything works fine and fast.

I can't see why they are using the main server for any up2date function: I
would only use mirror server, and the mainserver just to give the packets to
other mirrors.

Roland