Fedora ftp site?

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Sun Mar 21 21:34:41 UTC 2004

> It seems to me that the list of mirrors is only a list of not working mirrors:
> it never switched to german mirrors I had to add them to the sources list for
> my own - and then everything worked great.
> Maybe the only problem was a bad list of mirrors or that up2date do not choose
> the mirrors depend on the place were the computer with the fedora is located
> to - or am I wrong?

I think the real problems are these:

1. the mirrorlist functionality is new and needs some greater refinement
and explanation.

2. b/c of the massive changes in rawhide in the last week or so there
are a lot of mirrors that are not yet in sync, therefore you end up with
lots of broken repositories.

3. people are honestly expecting a bit too much from the mirroring
infrastructure available at this time, it does not scale very well when
you have MASSIVE changes on a nightly basis. It just doesn't.

-sv