Fedora ftp site?

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Sun Mar 21 22:00:51 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-03-21 at 15:56 -0600, Richard Ayer III wrote:

> Maybe the mirrors and the main rawhide could all have an hour of scheduled
> downtime every day or two in order be sure things are sync'ed up?

The mirrors don't just mirror red hat.

Duke's mirror, for example, mirrors lots of other things, Having
downtime for mirror syncing is not very acceptable to your other users.
moreover an hour is not enough time to sync up everywhere around the
world.

Let's say on a good day I'm getting 1MB/s from the mirror master. And
let's also say that rawhide was rebuilt the night before. So we end up
with 4GB of changes including debuginfo packages.

in an hour I'll only get 3.6GB from the mirror master. And then when the
gates are opened again my rates will diminish rapidly.

Now in general getting 1MB/s from the mirror master is a pipe dream. :)

-sv