2.6.4 vanilla kernel and ATI drivers for 9700 Pro don't work

Alan Cox alan at redhat.com
Sun Mar 21 23:39:14 UTC 2004

On Sun, Mar 21, 2004 at 04:11:26PM -0600, Steve Bergman wrote:
> video driver.  Would this be a workable comromise between the
> manufacturer's desire to keep their hardware internals secret (which in
> the area of 3D chip design is actually pretty understandable) and our

NVidia replace the entire GL subsystem with their own.

> andmaintainers?  It is my understanding that GLIDE was so thin and
> efficient that it made essentially no measurable difference to performance.

GLide is far from thin, but its very much a replacement for things like
OpenGL. In the Linux case OpenGL is built on top of Glide for Voodoo3,4,5
series hardare but that is purely a design ease thing

Its unlikely Nvidia would want to just use a thin layer as the performance
stuff is often not just about hardware but about the entire hardware and
software combination. I guess we just have to wait a few years until Intel
and friends put the 3D on the CPU 8)

Alan