Upgrading from rawhide 3/17 to /3/19

Jim Cornette redhat-jc at insight.rr.com
Mon Mar 22 00:18:26 UTC 2004

I made a clean install from the rawhide tree on 3/17 and then upgraded
to the 3/19 tree.

I had a bit of trouble getting X to launch. The xorg-x11 version of the
X server was upgraded during the http upgrade from the mirror.

I checked /etc/ld.so.conf and the settings were already set to the below
already.

cat /etc/ld.so.conf
/usr/lib/qt-3.3/lib
/usr/X11R6/lib

I then checked if xfs was running and did not see any xfs process running.

I then ran "chkconfig xfs on" this was then followed by
"restart xfs". X still did not want to start up. I tried a reboot after
wiping the /tmp directory clean from all files. After reboot, X started
up fine.

The symptom that X was displaying before I tried the above staps was
that it came up to a black screen. You could not ctl-alt-Fx to any
terminal. To get out of the black screen, you had to do a ctl-alt-del in
order for the computer to reboot. There was a bit of a delay before the
computer finally rebooted. The delay was probably near a minutes time,
if not longer. Eventually, the computer responded without having to do a
hard reset.

I'm also running SELinux in order to test it out. It seems to me ro be a
major distraction. Sometimes directories are not seen, though they are
actually there if you tried to see them in a shell.

The real distractions with SELinux is that everything seems to error out
with you don't have premission to perform this task, contact your
administrator. The simple task was to mount drives.

Message in pop-up states.
There are no filesystems which you are allowed to mount or unmount.
Contact your administrator.

OK! This used to work fine without SELinux. This limitation or
additional setup step will cause a lot of grief for users.

Now for trying to configure the display. Between running the command
from either a regular users terminal or launching from hat >> system
settings >> display. The trouble is more obvious that SELinux is getting
in the way. Running it from a root shell allows the program to work
correctly.

gnome-terminal as regular user shows below:
  system-config-display
Could not set exec context to user_u:sysadm_r:sysadm_t.

I liked that the soundcard was configured correctly (AC 97) and I did
not have to add a lot of modules to it manually. Below is
etc/modprobe.conf (untouched from having to add anything manually to
it.) Ethernet, sound and my usb drive work without setting anything up.

  cat /etc/modprobe.conf
alias eth0 ne2k-pci
alias eth1 3c59x
alias MASK=255.0.0.0 ne2k-pci
alias K=127.0.0.0 3c59x
alias sound-slot-0 snd-intel8x0
install snd-intel8x0 /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-intel8x0 &&
/usr/sbin/alsactl restore >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
remove snd-intel8x0 { /usr/sbin/alsactl store >/dev/null 2>&1 || : ; };
/sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove snd-intel8x0
alias usb-controller uhci-hcd

My usb scanner does not work with the 2.6 kernel still. It works fine
with the 2.4 kernel with the same programs installed.

Good luck with getting Fedora Core 2 Test 2 ready for the burn. Overall,
it looks good.

Jim