xorg install - X won't start completely

Jim Cornette redhat-jc at insight.rr.com
Mon Mar 22 01:17:21 UTC 2004

Jim Shepherd wrote:
> Performed the xorg upgrade via yum using the methods mentioned many
> times on this list: install xorg*; add /usr/X11R6/lib to ld.so.conf; run
> ldconfig;

I take it was ldconfig xfs on

  and restart xfs.  When X is starting, I get the blue
> background and hourglass for a few seconds, then it goes to black for a
> few more seconds, and then repeats this cycle until a text scree comes
> up saying that X was restarted x times in the last 90 seconds.

gdm gave me the same error as you describe.

  I have
> looked through the XFree86.0.log, messages, and dmesg files, but can;t
> find what's going wrong.  I have appended the contents of these files
> for reference.  Any ideas are appreciated.

This is a shot in the dark. I cleared the /tmp directory out of all
lingering files, Then I rebooted and the problems went away, X now starts.

Looking at your XFree error file, you have similar computer specs as I
have. 810 video anyway. Here is what the video section looks like. It
seems to be working alright.

The rationality why I deleted all files in /tmp and rebooted was that I
figured there were wrong entries in some of the "leftover" files in /tmp
that might kill X fonts or another setting. I keep no important stuff in
/tmp, so I figured it was worth a try. It worked for me.

If you keep iso files or something important to you in /tmp, this might
not be a good idea for your situation.

Jim

Section "Device"
         Identifier  "Videocard0"
         Driver      "i810"
         VendorName  "Videocard vendor"
         BoardName   "Intel 815"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
         Identifier "Screen0"
         Device     "Videocard0"
         Monitor    "Monitor0"
         DefaultDepth     24
         SubSection "Display"
                 Depth     24
                 Modes    "1280x1024" "1280x960" "1152x864" "1024x768"
"800x600" "640x480"
         EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "DRI"
         Group        0
         Mode         0666
EndSection

> -Jim Shepherd
>
> /var/log/messages:

<snip> ..... See the original message for log