UPGRADE to Xorg-X11, is it safe??

Gene Smith gds at chartertn.net
Mon Mar 22 02:24:18 UTC 2004

Bart Kalita wrote, On 03/21/2004 03:33 PM:
> jim tate wrote:
>
>> I'm having problem of updating the Kdebase , chkfontpath packages,
>> they can't find 'xfs' , needed as a dependency. and I have XFree86-xfs
>> installed.
>> I have missgivings about upgrade to xorg-x11.
>> In other words I'M SCARED. There you have the truth.
>>
>> Jim Tate
>>

> There is a short description of my  xorg install process:
>
> [root at nemesis bart]# yum --exclude=xorg* --exclude=anaconda
> --exclude=gdm --exclude=kdebase --exclude=kdebase-devel
> --exclude=chkfontpath --exclude=XFree86* update

Is it normal for yum to get very quite (80-90% cpu and very little disk
activity) for a long time after all the header and packages are
downloaded and after printing "Test transaction complete, Success!"? I
killed it and started over thinking maybe it was hung but is is still
being very slow at this point the 2nd time.