hd install without floppy or cdrom

Chris Kloiber ckloiber at redhat.com
Mon Mar 22 07:37:51 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-03-22 at 15:31, Charles R. Anderson wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 22, 2004 at 09:24:21AM +0200, Antti wrote:
> > So, the subject says it all. Is this possible and where can I find
> > instructions? Obviously my problem is that core 2 doesn't have a boot
> > floppy image 'couse the kernel won't fit in it.
>
> Stick isolinux/initrd.img and isolinux/vmlinuz in /boot and add to
> /etc/grub.conf.  Of course, this assumes the system you want to
> install/upgrade already has grub on it.

Beware copying vmlinuz to /boot. There is a symlink named vmlinuz
already there linking to your running kernel. Blindly copy it there and
you may have no way to back out. I like copying the new kernel/initrd as
/boot/v and /boot/i (less typing making the grub entry) Then I add the
entry:

title Self-Destruct
	kernel /v
	initrd /i

Reboot and select the new entry "Self-Destruct".

Also helpful to have a separate partition holding the isos. Anaconda
won't let you mess with the partition holding the isos.

--
Chris Kloiber, RHCX
Red Hat, Inc.