Fedora ftp site?

Alan Cox alan at redhat.com
Mon Mar 22 09:00:17 UTC 2004

On Sun, Mar 21, 2004 at 09:55:46PM -0800, George Garvey wrote:
> (the infamous SHOULD). I doubt you've even been in the position of someone
> with an FC1 box, updating it from rawhide; and therefore don't know what
> you're talking about from experience. (Of course, I may be wrong, and that
> is a data point: it works under some conditions, and not others, but that
> fact doesn't seem to be being investigated, either.)

You are wrong. I also help run a large ftp site, so I deal with both sides
of this.

>    The up2date and yum issues have been outrageous. It IS a big deal. It is
> not just failover. It is bad files that up2date somehow doesn't notice are
> bad until AFTER it has failed to install them. Just a few minutes ago, the

Oh I have a page of bugs filed against up2date, use yum. Up2date in
rawhide is IMHO currently unusable. But its a *test* release so the fact
I have a page of bugs filed is simply testing and hopefully they will get
fixed in time.

>    I don't like to rant and complain. I was very surprised, though, to see
> someone whose views I've come to respect almost denying that the situation
> exists. I just have no way to make sense out of what is going on.
> Apparently, I'm not alone in that position, from the torrent of complaints,
> and the quality of responses.

I'm not denying the problem exists, I'm simply pointing out that the
proposed fixes don't work either - and also that I don't think it is going
to bite production systems because the slower rate of change means mirrors
tend to keep in sync.

Alan