Strange package dependency problem

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Mon Mar 22 15:27:52 UTC 2004

> > > Why then is yum installed to run daily in the default setup for
> >
> > the cron job is just for convenience.
>
> Imagine how convenient it would be if it didn't choke on any
> little thing out of the ordinary.

Imagine how untrusted it would be if it continued despite the potential
for fairly serious breakage.

> And if it fails to update multiple pending packages that will
> update fine just because it detects that one of them might not
> update properly then it failed to do what it was intended to do
> and that is to try to keep the system updated.  It fails to
> succeed; Correct?

actually it is intended to install packages and dependencies with
correctness.

updating is a neat side effect. :)

> Do you want real help to solve a supposed problem or supposed
> help to solve a real problem?  If I'm the only one that sees
> room for improvement with yum then don't worry, be happy.

no, it's not that there is not room for improvement I'm just not sure
how useful it is to spend a lot of time focusing on improving a
situation that only happens to people using rawhide. At some level
people using rawhide should know that the world will break and bring
pain into their being.

-sv