xorg install - X won't start completely

Jim Cornette redhat-jc at insight.rr.com
Tue Mar 23 01:57:20 UTC 2004

Jim Shepherd wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-03-21 at 20:17 -0500, Jim Cornette wrote:
>

>>This is a shot in the dark. I cleared the /tmp directory out of all
>>lingering files, Then I rebooted and the problems went away, X now starts.
>>

> Completely cleared out my /tmp and /var/tmp directories and still get
> the same error.
>

>>Looking at your XFree error file, you have similar computer specs as I
>>have. 810 video anyway. Here is what the video section looks like. It
>>seems to be working alright.
>>

> My Screen section seems to be set up exactly like yours, except you seem
> to have an i815 while I seem to have an i810.  What modules are you
>
> -Jim

This excerpt is from XF86Config. My card is an 815 and didn't work with
several distributions, but seems to work with RH or Fedora.
(800 MHz P III)

I was worried that it stopped working with xorg originally.

Have you tried running system-config-display to try to get x working?
There might be documentation on dumping system-config-xfree86, but I
didn't realize it until after X wouldn't start.
My file was generated by system-config-display as root user.

Jim C.

Section "Module"
         Load  "dbe"
         Load  "extmod"