HOWTO for a simple install of Cyrus

Z zleite at mminternet.com
Wed Mar 24 04:57:26 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-03-21 at 18:40, Phil Anderson wrote:
> We updated from uwimap to dovecot, as dovecot uses mbox format by
>
> On Sun, Mar 21, 2004 at 07:03:22PM -0500, Tom Diehl wrote:
> > On Mon, 22 Mar 2004, Stephen Moore wrote:
> >
> > > How do you convert old uwimap mailboxes to cyrus? I have wanted to move
> > > off uwimap for a while for performance reasons but always been too slack
> > > to figure this out.
> >
> > Does cyrus use some kind of non-standard mailbox format?? If it does it is
> > crap and should not be used. uw-imap for all of its warts at least uses a
> > standard mailbox format called mbox.
> >
> > Tom

There's no standard for mailboxes.
Cyrus is actually pretty good and robust. It separates mailboxes from
home directories, and that increases a lot the security. It runs in
blackbox mode, so users don't need homes nor entries in the passwd file.
It's big and complex though, but for a large site it can be the best
fit.