FC2 Development observations/comments/questions

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Thu Mar 25 14:48:30 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-03-24 at 17:48 -0500, Gene C. wrote:
> 2. When I installed FC2 x86_64 today I noticed some extra options on package
> selection (they may have also been there for the i386 install but I did not
> notice).  The options were for two new package groupings involving
> compatability libraries.  I assume these had something to do with ix86
> packages on the x86_64 system but that was not at all clear.  Should I report
> this as a bug?

No, these are supposed to be there on x86_64 and are intentionally not
present on i386 (there's no other arch for it to support).

> 3. When I installed FC2 x86_64 the installer did not recognize my monitor (the
> i386 install did) so it ask what it was ... I specified generic LCD capable
> of 1600x1200 (it is a Dell 2000FP).  To my surprise (I was pleased) X came up
> with 1600x1200 so that I did not need to resize it after the first boot.

Unfortunately, there is no generic way to do monitor probing independent
of what card is being used :/   On x86, we can ues DDC via some fun real
mode LRMI code, but that doesn't work on any other arch.

> 5. One thing that really puzzles me.  For the ix86 install, there is a simple
> graphic that comes up in the top part of the initial screen when you first
> boot boot.iso (the one where you can select text, gui, expert, askmethod,
> etc, etc).  This does NOT appear on the x86_64 install -- just the text
> messages and prompt.  For that matter, it did not appear on the FC1 x86_64
> install either.  I do not understand?

Some early x86_64 hardware had problems with the isolinux graphics
mode... I should actually put it back and see if it causes things to
break.

Jeremy