Rhythmbox and mp3

Tadej Janež tadej.janez at tadej.hicsalta.si
Thu Mar 25 15:40:31 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-03-24 at 12:11 +0100, Michael Schwendt wrote:

> > > Is rhythmbox built with id3lib?
> > > Does it recognize mp3 files when built without id3lib?
> > >
> > > In earlier releases it did not and had to be replaced with a rebuilt
> > > version (and not just with gstreamer-plugins-mp3 added). id3lib is
> > > included in fedora.us as an extra package.
> > >
> > > --
> > The problem is that rhythmbox will not be able to load mp3s into its
> > database if it is not built with id3lib, and according to the src.rpm
> > file I downloaded from download.fedora.redhat.com yesterday, it is not
> > built with id3lib and it is in the configure section of the spec file it
> > has --disable-mp3.
>
> libid3tag (not id3lib) is not included within Fedora Core. It would need
> to be included before rhythmbox could be built with id3 support.  Only
> then adding mp3 support would be as easy as installing a gstreamer plugin
> from some add-on site.

According to this post:
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/rhythmbox-devel/2004-February/msg00044.html
this issue will soon become irrelevant (since version 0.7.0 onwards).

"... The bottom line now is that Rhythmbox doesn't depend on libid3tag,
libflac, etc., anymore.  In fact, with GStreamer, there is now no
media-specific code in Rhythmbox.  If you have a GStreamer plugin, you
can both play back that format and load it into your library, and you
don't even need to recompile Rhythmbox."

Nevertheless, Fedora Core will still first have to switch to a newer
verison of Rhythmbox (0.7.x are development series), luckily, GStreamer
0.8.0 is already present in rawhide.

Then you only need a third-party repository with your desired gstreamer
plugins, such as rpm.livna.org, freshrpms, etc.

tadej