Moving to XOrg

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Fri Mar 26 21:34:06 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-03-26 at 14:56 -0600, Satish Balay wrote:

> On Fri, 26 Mar 2004, Chris Adams wrote:
>
> > Once upon a time, Satish Balay <balay at fastmail.fm> said:
> > > Hmm worked for me. upgrade (instead of update) takes care of obsoletes.
> >
> > The "upgrade" option is also marked "*deprecated*" in the yum man page
> > (so I don't use it).
>
> However the functionality is very useful (esp with rawhide) - and is
> not depreciated. The option is depreicated in favor of a different way
> of specifying it - perhaps 'yum --obsoletes=1 update'

Satish,
  you're correct this is what I'd like to do. Upgrade is, right now,
just updates with obsoletes calculated first. I'd like to remove upgrade
as a command and just let obsoletes be a switch to yum.

then if someone ALWAYS wants obsoletes calculated they could just do:
obsoletes=1 in their yum.conf and move along. However, at this time It's
not done that way - but I wanted to mark upgrade as deprecated so people
know it will eventually go away. But it won't go away in the 2.0.X
branch. I'm not going to change features dramatically mid-season. :)

> For me, all the redhat-config -> system-config ; XFree86 -> xorg-x11 changes
> were handled properly by it.

Glad to hear it.

-sv