Setting sound level on startup

Thomas Molina tmolina at cablespeed.com
Sat Mar 27 12:36:27 UTC 2004

> I was wondering if you posters have something in /etc/modprobe.conf
> similar to what I have:
>   alias sound-slot-0 snd-intel8x0
>   install sound-slot-0 /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install sound-slot-0 &&
>   /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -L >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
>
> I'm not sure what this is supposed to do, but it appears it might
> reset aumix to 0 on reboot.

That section will install the driver for your sound card when sound
services are requested.  When it loads the driver it will load your mixer
settings from /etc/.aumixrc.  If your driver defaults to muted, or the
/etc/.aumixrc file starts out with zeros for sound levels you won't get
any sound.  Once your system is up and running, use the tools to set
volume levels and have them saved.

There is also a similar line which gets run when the sound module is
removed which saves the current volume levels back into /etc/.aumixrc.