no mirrors working?

RaXeT maxer1 at xmission.com
Sat Mar 27 13:45:54 UTC 2004

Michael Schwendt wrote:

>On Sat, 27 Mar 2004 03:34:10 -0700, RaXeT wrote:
>

>>What is with ftp from fedora.redhat.com and mirror.hiwaay.net since
>>yesterday I get only
>>
>> From gftp
>>
>>Trying mirror.hiwaay.net:21
>>Connected to mirror.hiwaay.net:21
>>Disconnecting from site mirror.hiwaay.net
>>
>>No directory listing or anything. Same for fedora.redhat.com
>>
>>It would be nice to alert people of that problem.
>>

>Feel free to do so with the admin at hiwaay.net.
>
>The subject is misleading.
>
>$ ftp download.fedora.redhat.com
>Trying 209.132.176.20...
>Connected to download.fedora.redhat.com (209.132.176.20).
>220 Fedora FTP server ready. All transfers are logged.
>Name (download.fedora.redhat.com:ms): anonymous
>331 Please specify the password.
>Password:
>230 Login successful. Have fun.
>Remote system type is UNIX.
>Using binary mode to transfer files.
>ftp> quit
>221 Goodbye.
>
>Currently, mirror.hiwaay.net is reachable, but doesn't react to
>ftp:
>
>$ ftp mirror.hiwaay.net
>Connected to mirror.hiwaay.net (216.180.54.21).
>
>ftp.hiwaay.net and ftp://hiwaay.net seem to be working, but don't
>carry the content you want. ;)
>

>>Or maybe a vague attempt to allow us to use yum? heh
>>

>What would that change? Yum would access the same site via ftp/http, too.
>
>Also nice is "lftp" which gives ftp-like access to http, when the site
>serves http, too.

Thanks but when I paste in yum.conf:
[development]
name=Fedora Core $releasever - Development Tree
baseurl=ftp://mirrors.kernel.org/pub/fedora/linux/core/development
I get the following error on yum update:
[Errno 4] IOError: [Errno ftp error] 550 linux: No such file or directory

Now I'm not sure but I would think that this should work.

What is my problem with yum? I've updated all devel packages without yum
through gftp to the latest as of 3-25-04.

RaXeT