Setting sound level on startup

Maynard Kuona knxmay001 at mail.uct.ac.za
Sat Mar 27 14:13:29 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-03-27 at 14:36, Thomas Molina wrote:
> > I was wondering if you posters have something in /etc/modprobe.conf
> > similar to what I have:
> >   alias sound-slot-0 snd-intel8x0
> >   install sound-slot-0 /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install sound-slot-0 &&
> >   /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -L >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
> >
> > I'm not sure what this is supposed to do, but it appears it might
> > reset aumix to 0 on reboot.
>
> That section will install the driver for your sound card when sound
> services are requested.  When it loads the driver it will load your mixer
> settings from /etc/.aumixrc.  If your driver defaults to muted, or the
> /etc/.aumixrc file starts out with zeros for sound levels you won't get
> any sound.  Once your system is up and running, use the tools to set
> volume levels and have them saved.
>
> There is also a similar line which gets run when the sound module is
> removed which saves the current volume levels back into /etc/.aumixrc.

More specifically, to load your sound settings on login, you can add to
your session the line alsactl restore -f /path/to/asound.state

I created an asound.state in my home directory so that I could save as
user to it.

Now, how do you automatically save this on logout. I had this before,
but I did it once, then it worked so well, I don't remember how I did
it. anyone enlighten me.