yum broken; headers directory missing

Andy Ross andy at plausible.org
Sun Mar 28 16:44:48 UTC 2004

Seth Vidal wrote:
> to be anal - yum is not broken - yum is doing exactly what it should do
> under the circumstance where the metadata it requires is missing. It's
> exiting with what I think is a fairly obvious error.
>
> I'm being picky, I know, but I'm trying to offset a bunch of bug reports
> about yum being 'broken' b/c it can't find data that's not there. :)

You're beeing way too picky.  :)

To expand the elided English in my subject:

  Yum [has been] broken [because the] header directory [is] missing

Are you OK with that verb tense?

Seriously: "yum" might be your code, but it's also an update system
most of us rely on to get new stuff from the download servers.  If the
*system* is broken, we should be able to submit bug reports against
"[the] yum [update system]" without worrying about hurting the
feelings of individual developers. :)

Andy