yum broken; headers directory missing

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Sun Mar 28 16:47:20 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-03-28 at 08:44 -0800, Andy Ross wrote:

> Seth Vidal wrote:
> > to be anal - yum is not broken - yum is doing exactly what it should do
> > under the circumstance where the metadata it requires is missing. It's
> > exiting with what I think is a fairly obvious error.
> >
> > I'm being picky, I know, but I'm trying to offset a bunch of bug reports
> > about yum being 'broken' b/c it can't find data that's not there. :)
>
> You're beeing way too picky.  :)
>
> To expand the elided English in my subject:
>
>   Yum [has been] broken [because the] header directory [is] missing
>
> Are you OK with that verb tense?
>
> Seriously: "yum" might be your code, but it's also an update system
> most of us rely on to get new stuff from the download servers.  If the
> *system* is broken, we should be able to submit bug reports against
> "[the] yum [update system]" without worrying about hurting the
> feelings of individual developers. :)

It's not my feelings that are being hurt. I realize there are bugs in
yum, I expect them. But the paths being non-existent is not one and I
was hoping I could offset a lot of bugzilla email by clearing up your
message. So no, it's not about my feelings, it's about my available
time. If I have to close a bunch of bugs then I have less time. That's
all. Nothing emotional, just practical.

-sv