SSH and charset

Igor N. Kolomiyets list at inksystems.net
Mon Mar 29 19:53:47 UTC 2004

> Actually, another problem is that KOI8-R (or KOI8-U for Ukrainian)
> is a de facto standard encoding for free unices in Russia (Ukraine).
> Almost all text files are in KOI8-R (KOI8-U), including program
> sources, TeX documents, etc. Converting all this to UTF-8
> is a tedious task - don't you think? ;)

IMHO at some stage it will be done anyways as UTF is becoming a de facto
standard for i18n worldwide. 10 years ago there were a lot of different docs
in Cp866, no it is so rare. In my opinion, the same will happen with
national character sets. UTF is handier, there is no doubt about that. And
coming to it as a common standard is just a matter of time.

Best regards,
Igor.