FC2 test2 is a BAD joke

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at mindspring.com
Tue Mar 30 11:59:00 UTC 2004

On Tue, 30 Mar 2004, Douglas Furlong wrote:

> On Tue, 2004-03-30 at 09:55, Manu Abraham wrote:

> > It is not just the developer alone. Consider the people who download
> > the ISO's over relatively slow links and try it on their machines,
> > just to find their data just vanished.

> I seem to sense a level of sarcasm in this particular sentence.
>
> These people that are downloading a test release over an extremely slow
> link would have to have a fairly large desire to use a test release. for
> what ever reason. I would have thought they would do this knowing that
> it was a test release and as such may not work for every one.

i have some sympathy with mr. abraham in this instance.  there's nothing
wrong with bugs in a beta/test release, and everyone realizes that.  so we
download it, install it, test it, find bugs, and keep updating as those
bugs get shaken out.

but all of that assumes you can get the software onto your machine in the
first place.  this suggests that, more than anything else, the
installation procedure has to be flogged pretty hard before getting out
the door to make sure it works.

it's one thing to help test software once you get it onto your system.
it's somewhat more serious to not even be able to get it onto your system
to begin with, which goes a certain distance in explaining some folks'
frustration level.

rday

p.s. it's for precisely that reason that i asked previously, will there
be a respin once this issue is resolved?  under the circumstances, i don't
see how there can't be.  just my $0.02 canadian.  (which, these days, is
getting dangerously close to being $0.02 US. :-)