libata vs via drivers (was: Re: A lot of problems with FC2 Test2 X64_64 - detailed description)

Mark mark at harddata.com
Tue Mar 30 20:57:27 UTC 2004

On March 30, 2004 10:14 am, Alessandro Polverini <alex at nibbles.it> wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-03-30 at 18:37, Mark wrote:
> > [...]
> >
> > > That is strange.  My SATA drive comes up as scsi on FC1 (2.4 kernel)
> > > but ide on FC2 (2.6 kernel).
> >
> > There's two drivers. The straight via driver that is in 2.6.x or the
> > libata driver that is in both. I am currently using the VIA driver with
> > my custom 2.6.4 kernel but I may switch to libata.
>
> What are the pros and cons of one driver respect to the other?

Well I am not sure. I know that the earlier version of the libata driver was
giving me problems but this was before FC1 was released. I was able to
install onto the SATA with the x86_64 version of FC1 using the libata
drivers. With that said I have been using the regular VIA drivers all along
with my regular install and they seem to work fine.

Mark Lane, CET mailto:mark at harddata.com
Hard Data Ltd. http://www.harddata.com
T: 01-780-456-9771   F: 01-780-456-9772
11060 - 166 Avenue Edmonton, AB, Canada, T5X 1Y3
--> Ask me about our Excellent 1U Systems! <--