FC2T2 Initial Things

Dan Goodes fedora-list at planetmirror.com
Tue Mar 30 23:42:30 UTC 2004

Hi folks,

I installed FC2t2 yesterday on my notebook (Compaq Presario 2133AC with
AMD AthlonXP-M 2400+, 512MB, ATI Radeon Mobilty U1*, NatSemi Ethernet card
and Orinoco_Pci WiFi)

* Before you jump to conclusions, I know that this card is supposedly only
supported in DRI-CVS etc as far as 3D is concerned, and I don't mind one
bit (That will get fixed and working "enevtually").

I installed by downloading the boot.iso image and running "linux nousb
nofirewire nopcmcia askmethod" from the boot: prompt. I need all those to
get my keyboard to work in Anaconda (this is in bugzilla a number of
times, and that is the solution...).

Inistalled via my mirror (planetmirror.com) and went into things. For some
reason (that eludes me now) I wanted to check what glxinfo said as far as
my MESA/DRI setup went.

*BANG* the X session went black and locked up cold (i didn't have an SSH
connection into the box to find out what if anything was written on dmesg
or the X log - I will post more updates today when I get the chance). The
same thing happened when I tried to run a GL-based screensaver - it
*should* have simply run with software rendering as all previous releases
did, but instead just went to a blank screen and X locked up.

This stuff is very reminiscent of when using testing/CVS IGP DRI, which I
could never get working, despite all the claims that it did work.
Is it possible that

a) x11-org sees a radeon chipset and assumes that it can do 3d, even
though it can't in practice, being an IGP?

b) x11-org included some [broken] support for the IGP that nobody knows
about?

Anyway, I'll do more testing/work with FC2T2 today, and post more results.

Cheers,
Dan