Calming the BAD JOKE thread

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at welho.com
Wed Mar 31 06:59:19 UTC 2004

On Wed, 31 Mar 2004, Jean Francois Martinez wrote:

> On Tue, 2004-03-30 at 23:07, Alexandre Oliva wrote:
> > On Mar 30, 2004, Jean Francois Martinez <jfm512 at free.fr> wrote:
> >
> > > But we expect to be able to install (even  some glitches) and to boot.
> >
> > Based on what?  Part of the testing is exactly on the installer.  If
> > you haven't been trying to install rawhide to report early problems
> > that would make it to the test release otherwise, how would you expect
> > people to know about them to fix them?
>
> I can understand the installation breaking on a piece of
> software the RedHat/Fedora people don't have or if I made something
> unusual.  I cannot understand the installation breaking at the first
> step on IDE disks or CDROMS (and booting from boot.iso): a test release

Sorry but you don't get to choose where bugs occur, regardless of how
convenient that would be.

> is made for people exploring the million alleys that Redhat/Fedora
> people cannot explore, it is useless to have people stumble upon
> a major problem you couldn't fail because it was just 1 yard after
> exiting Redhat's garage.

Test releases are made so that more people with variety of hardware test
it. Test2 boots + installs just fine for great many people, including my
two test boxes which is much farther than 1 yard from RH garage.
Help testing and finding what's causing this bug, whining doesn't help.
These things can NOT be prevented, there's always going to be some box
which isn't going to install, no matter what number of tests is run inside
a particular vendor's labs.

A workaround has been pointed out, now get on with the testing and stop
whining.

	- Panu -